Wednesday 25 July 2012

Illuminating Blogger Award

I was surprised and delighted to receive an email from Nicola Elsom at The Genealogy Workshop at the weekend, informing me that she had nominated me for an Illuminating Blogger Award. As a blogger it means everything to me to know that someone has read and remembered my blog posts!

If you haven’t come across it before, the award was initiated by Food Stories, and is awarded by bloggers to bloggers, for illuminating, informative blog content. Check out the Winners Blogroll and you need never be short of good reading material again!

As a recipient, I now have the privilege of nominating five blogs for the award myself. I have selected a diverse range of blogs from both sides of the Atlantic that I always enjoy reading and are always particularly informative. I have tried to avoid nominating previous recipients and have focused on individual blogs rather than those produced by professionals and companies.

Nominations

Your Genetic Genealogist
CeCe Moore shares my passion for genetic genealogy and is a fellow member of  ISOGG. She has a particular interest in autosomal DNA testing and is always up to date with the latest developments. She has tested numerous close family members and her posts are well illustrated with real-life examples.

Genealogic Blog
Emma Jolly is not one of the most prolific of bloggers but her posts are always very detailed, scholarly and interesting, covering a wide range of topics but with a particular focus on London. As someone who has always had a fascination with names I found her recent post on Naming for empire of particular interest.

The Legal Genealogist
Judy Russell has only been blogging since the beginning of the year but she has already found her own particular niche writing about the legal issues affecting genealogists. Although many of the issues she covers deal with access to records in America there are also important implications for us here in the UK.  Judy is also an avid genetic genealogist and regularly writes about her experiences of DNA testing.

Cumpston Research
Glenys Marriott has a lively blog devoted to her Cumpston one-name study. She shares stories of the exploits of the more interesting Cumpston name-bearers who feature in her study, but her blog is also of more general interest to genealogists as she often highlights websites of interest, many of which are not so well known.

Anglers Rests
Julie Goucher has a wonderfully eclectic blog which covers a wide variety of subjects from genealogy to book reviews and anything else which she finds of interest. Julie is half-Italian and she is doing a one-name study on the Sicilian surname Orlando.

My interesting fact
As part of my nomination I am supposed to share one interesting thing about myself. I am always fascinated by the way that we tend to follow in the footsteps of our ancestors. When I first lived in London I rented a flat in Hammersmith Grove in Hammersmith. When I started my family history research I was very surprised to learn that my great-grandfather George William Thorne Wiggins owed a property in "The Grove" in the very same street where I had been living. Another great-grandfather Frederick Cruwys was a tailor and at one time he had a shop in King Street in Hammersmith where I used to go every Saturday to get my shopping. Is is just a coincidence or is there something in the genes that attracts us to the same places as our ancestors?
If you are nominated, then you have received the Illuminating Blogger Award Please follow these steps:
  1. The nominee should visit the award site (http://foodstoriesblog.com/illuminating-blogger-award/) and leave a comment indicating that they have been nominated and by whom. (This step is so important because it’s the only way that we can create a blogroll of award winners).
  2. The Nominee should thank the person that nominated them by posting and including a link to their blog.
  3. The Nominee should include a courtesy link back to the official award site (http://foodstoriesblog.com/illuminating-blogger-award/) in their blog post.
  4. Share one random thing about yourself in your blog post.
  5. Select at least five other bloggers that you enjoy reading for their illuminating, informative posts and nominate them for the award. Many people indicate that they wish they could nominate more so please feel free to nominate all your favourites.
  6. Notify your nominees by leaving a comment on their blog, including a link to the award site (http://foodstoriesblog.com/illuminating-blogger-award/).
And you don’t need to wait to be nominated to give your favourite blog an award.  Just visit the award site and see how to do it.
© Debbie Kennett 2012

2 comments:

Julie Goucher said...

Debbie, Very many thanks for the nomination. I am always amazed that others read and enjoy my blog. I shall pull together a post shortly, I am.

wilkinssolutions said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.